I put the ill in Danville, VA. Ancestors derive from the Bamileke tribes of Cameroon!
*** October SZLM Spotlight Song
What’s your Shenzhen story?
Came to Shenzhen to teach Oral English through CTLC (chinaprogram.org).
Came to China because I respect Chinese philosophy and martial arts.
3 musical influences/why?
1. Kanye West – He’s a musical genius from production to arrangement to lyrics.
2. Wu-Tang Clan – part of the reason that I’m here in China. Also brought so much flavor and style to their music.
3. My experiences, friends, and family without them I would have nothing to draw off because they taught me everything I know.
3 lyricist influences/why?
1. Nas – top 5 dead or alive!, He’s a legend due to his ability to deliver hardhitting lyrics that push the envelope and he never has to reinvent himself because he’s all of these different cultural elements wrapped into one Artist.
2. Andre 3k – can dominate any 16 on any subject. Has a charisma that is hardly matched by anyone. A great performer and he puts together words and phrases that make you think deeper YET are simple enough for you to grab hold to on first listen.
3. Black Thought of The Legendary Roots Crew – Have not heard anything from him that let me down or I did not like. He always speaks truths that reflect the experiences of myself and others like me.
A piece of lyrics or poetry that add priceless color to the world?
- your own-
CocoPark as well as with (IN)fuze on Saturday at the same bar. (8:30 PM)
Largest audience played for?
I’ve been performing my entire life so I can’t necessarily remember. I’ve played at really large venues of 500+ people and venues as small as 20 people. Doesn’t matter how many in my eyes all that matters is what I bring to the table.
Do you write songs and lyrics in languages other than English?
If we categorize Ebonics as a language then I write lyrics in that very fluently, however aside from that, not yet.
Anything else you want to add that’s not here?I chose the name RE.mix because I feel my style cultivates a lot of different elements. I don’t feel I’m presenting anything new, but rather, mixing the things I like into a fresh blend that people can identify with. I began as a singer in church as well as a drummer and dancer in a west African dance troop when I was 5. Hence the name RE.mix, taking some of the old and the new and give it back to you.
2 Responses to “Adrian Blackstock”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.